Tuesday, July 17, 2012

When it rains...

Well it  was raining, not hard mind you, but it was raining.  What was I to do?  I wanted to lay stone but it's not an activity to be done in the rain - when it rains one should find a brew pub.

We took off at noonish for Superior (or Duluth).  I didn't make up my mind till we were in Superior and Deb was at the (damn) quilt shop.  The Thirsty Pagan won out (they had an IPA on tap) - but we will be back and try out Duluth (if we can get past the Pagan).

The bar is awesome - it is the most unpretentious place you can imagine.  They have decorated it with old beer memorabilia.  It was happy hour and I had the India Pagan Ale (IPA) and Deb had an amber.  I loved my beer, but as much as I enjoy an amber there was something about it that I didn't care for.  It wasn't my beer though and Deb enjoyed it.

While paying for the beer ($3.25/pint during a 3 hour daily happy hour) I asked about growlers (I had ice in the cooler - and to think, I was never a boy scout). She said the growler was $5 and $12 to fill it.  I inwardly flinched as this was a tad too much for me although reasonable.  She continued however with the information that Tuesday's special was a pizza (in house) and the growler was only $6 to fill.  That was any pizza - it could have been a small plain cheese.  Well I was kind of hungry.....
We ordered the medium (13") TPB special

10"13"16"
TPB Special
Spicy Italian sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions and green peppers.
$11.95$17.95$24.95
The pizza came and I took one look and thought to myself that this pizza can't possibly taste as good as it looks - it actually was better.  I can only think of one other pizza that I had that was better.  This pizza was unbelievable.   We only ate half of it.  Can't wait till lunch (or my midnight snack).

This place has live music basically 6 nights a week and open mic on Sunday's - aah, to be rich enough to spend the night drinking the beer and listening to live music and then walk to the motel.

On our way home between Ashland and Hurley a bear lumbered across US 2 - and no, it wasn't a figment of my beer.

In the infamous words of Arnold, "I'll be back".

http://www.thirstypaganbrewing.com/

I would be negligent if I didn't mention the staff.  The bartender, waitress and some employee when we entered were great.  I love the Thirsty Pagan:)




1 comment:

  1. You gotta love pagans. We have Nate and Rita mostly moved in, still have a freezer, treadmill and misc things I our garage. Boy, summers go fast. It doesn't even look like I will get to make a trip down the buffalo. London is coming up fast and the only thing that we know we are doing is going to stonehenge and the changing of the guard.

    ReplyDelete