Saturday, April 19, 2014

Grumpy Troll Brewpub

The Grumpy Grandpa Troll Brewpub













Angie's kids like to tease me (where did they learn that) and the call me 'grumpy grandpa', therefore this place makes me think of that and smile:)

Deb was supposed to land at O'hare ate 4:01 and I left work at 3:55 to meet her - yeah, traffic was a bitch once I got within 25 miles of the airport.  I finally made it at 5:30 and we were off.  The kitchen closes at 9:00 and we (at least I was) were hungry so we rushed to Mt. Horeb.  We got to the motel, checked in and walked the 1/2 mile to the pub and arrived at, you guessed it, 9:00 pm.  The bartender asked the kitchen and they had no problem with cooking for a tad longer.  The food was very good even if I'm stupid.  I meant to order a cajun burger but ordered the bleu cheese burger instead (how does that happen?).  All their burgers can be ordered with a black bean vegie patty instead of meat - who orders a vegie burger with bacon?  I might be the first idiot to do so:).

Now for the important stuff:
The beer rocks.  I had 2 different ipa's and the stout (hey, I was walking) and they were all awesome.  The ipa's were to die for.  The bar was crowded and noisy - obviously a popular place.  I would (will?) definitely go back, service was great and I have nothing but good memories.

The motel:
We stayed at the village inn, a small 11 room (I think) family owned place on the state trail that we walked to the pub.  The rooms were very clean, simple and small - just what we want.  The problem that I had was when I got up during the night to go the bathroom - I tripped on the bedspread which had been pushed off the bed and I went down.  My pinkie on my already mangled left hand caught the bed and yeah, something ain't right.  I think I might be better off if I just amputate that hand: broken finger falling running, table saw, router and now this - yikes.

The run:
The trail that runs through Mt Horeb is awesome - did a 5 mile run - 4 on the trail and it was great.  Thank god for spring.  The birds were singing, the sun was out and all was good.
later

1 comment:

  1. The grumpy troll is one of the few places that I have bought a growler from

    ReplyDelete